About Lorenzo Magnea
I am a theoretical physicist, currently working in
where I am a Professor at the local
My main research interest is in
particle physics, and in particular in
especially in the perturbative regime.
As you may know, this is the physics of
LHC , one of the greatest scientific experiments
of all time. LHC will
not produce dangerous
black holes, but great results instead! For a
musical explanation, listen to the
Rap by alpinekat.
If you want to know more, watch some excellent
by PBS, more
, also excellent, by BBC News,
and a special on the
New York Times where I especially
recommend a nice article by Brian Greene. The LHC recently discovered a new particle, with all the properties of the Standard Model Higgs boson: a great
leap forward in our understanding of the Universe. Also for the Higgs boson, a fun musical explanation is available!
Here you find an introductory lecture on particle
physics, in italian and for the general public, which I gave at the Scuola di Fisica of the University of Torino, then for the project BraVinRicerca in the beautiful town of Bra, and finally in the conference series SeralMente at the Majorana high school in Grugliasco. An english version is available here.
- Here are some problems I am currently working on
- Infrared and collinear divergences in perturbative QCD.
- String--derived methods for quantum field theory calculations.
- Soft gluon resummations and power corrections for collider observables.
Publications (courtesy of the
- My Curriculum vitae.
- Since 2016, I teach Physics for Citizens, an introductory physics class for non-science majors, inspired by the book Physics for Future Presidents, working with Giuseppe Tipaldo, a media scientist at the Department of Cultures, Politics and Society.
- Since 2015, I teach TIF, a short introductory course on symbolic computing software, for the Bachelor's Degree in Physics.
- Since 2014, I teach Advanced Quantum Field Theory for the Master's Degree in Physics.
- Between 2012 and 2015, I taught Introductory Physics for the Bachelor's
Degree in Chemistry, in collaboration with Simonetta Marcello.
- Between 2006 and 2012, I taught Introduction to Group Theory for the Master's Degree in Physics.
Here is the official web page of the class.
- In 2011, I taught Introductory Electromagnetism
for the Bachelor's Degree in Materials Sciences, working with Nicolao Fornengo
and Igor Pesando.
- Between 2007 and 2010, I taught Phenomenology of Fundamental
Interactions (basics of the Standard Model), for the Master's Degree in
Physics of Fundamental Interactions, together with
who has now taken over.
- In the past I taught Introductory Quantum Mechanics for the
Math Degree program and
for the Advanced School for Teachers.
- Advanced Lectures on the Infrared structure of Perturbative QCD, given
at ETH in Zurich, February 2010, and
as SUPA Distingushed Visitor to Edinburgh
and Glasgow Universities in January 2011. Handwritten notes:
Lecture 1, Lecture 2,
Lecture 3, Lecture 4.
- Lectures on Perturbative QCD at the Workshop ``Signaling the Arrival of
the LHC Era'', ICTP Trieste, december
- Lectures on Perturbative QCD at the
School of Theoretical Physics
of the University of Parma
updated in 2008 for WHEPP X in
in italian (pdf), and
in english (pdf).
Some of my talks
- ``Threshold logarithms beyond leading power'', updated version, presented at Loops and Legs 2016, Leipzig, 04/16.
- ``A brief history of NLP logarithms'', HCTP, Edinburgh, 01/16.
- ``The growing toolbox of perturbative QCD'', LFC15 conference at ECT*, Trento, 09/15.
- ``Soft radiation beyond leading power'', presented at SLAC, Stanford, 06/15, and at WHEPP XIV, IIT Kanpur, 12/15.
- ``Threshold logarithms beyond leading power'', RadCor/Loopfest Conference
at UCLA, 06/15,
- ``Infrared divergences at high orders'', HP2 Conference at the GGI
Institute, Firenze, 09/14, and Frontiers of QCD, at IIT Mumbai, 12/14
- ``Hard scatterings and soft gluons'', invited review talk
at QCD@LHC 2014, Suzdal, 08/14, (pdf).
- ``On the infrared structure of perturbative gauge theories'',
at the Summer School on Structures in Local Quantum Field Theory,
Les Houches, 06/14, (pdf).
- ``Progress on the infrared structure of gauge theory amplitudes'',
at Loops and Legs 2014, Weimar, 05/14,
- ``All-order perturbative results for gauge field theories'',
at the Workshop ``New Directions in Theoretical Physics'', Higgs Center,
- ``A tale of two factorizations'', at RadCor 2013, Lumley Castle, 09/13,
also presented in Edinburgh, 12/13, Milano and Madrid, 02/14, and Genova,
- ``On the field theory limit of multi-loop string amplitudes'',
Humboldt University, Berlin, 02/13,
- ``Progress on the field theory limit of perturbative multi-loop string
amplitudes'', at the Workshop on Scattering Amplitudes, ECT*, Trento, 07/12,
- ``Resummations in QCD - the analytic viewpoint'', review talk at the
Workshop Event Generators & Resummations, DESY Hamburg, 05/12,
- ``Following Pino - through the cusps and beyond the planar lands'',
at the Pino Marchesini Day, Cortona, 05/12, (pdf).
- ``The infrared structure of gauge amplitudes in the high-energy limit'',
at Loops and Legs 2012, Wernigerode, 04/12, (pdf).
- ``The infrared singularities of massless gauge theories'', invited
talk at Johannes Gutenberg Universität, Mainz, 12/11,
- ``The infrared structure of gauge amplitudes in the high-energy limit'',
at RadCor 2011, Mamallapuram, 09/11, and at CEA, Saclay, 11/11,
- ``Resummations in QCD - a progress report'', review talk at QCD@LHC 2011,
St. Andrews, 08/11, (pdf).
- ``Perturbative QCD for LHC Physics'', Colloquium at Edinburgh and Glasgow
Universities, 02/11, (pdf).
- ``The long-distance singularities of massless gauge theories'', invited
plenary talk at the DESY Theory Workshop, 09/10; also at Albert-Ludwig
Universität Freiburg, 01/11; and at RWTH Universität, Aachen, 10/10,
- ``The all-order infrared structure of massless gauge theories'', at
LoopFest, Stony Brook, and at CERN, 06/10, (pdf).
- ``Perturbative QCD for LHC Physics'', Colloquium at the Paul Scherrer
Institute, 12/09, (pdf).
- ``The all-order structure of long-distance singularities in massless
gauge theories'', at RadCor09, Ascona, 10/09; and at EPFL Lausanne, 03/10
- ``All-order results for infrared and collinear singularities'', at
Amplitudes 09, Durham; and at CERN, 04/09 (pdf).
- ``Factorization and universality for massless gauge theory amplitudes'',
at HP2.2, Buenos Aires, 10/08 (pdf).
- ``Non-perturbative effects for QCD jets at hadron colliders'', at
La Thuile, 03/08; and at IFAE, Bologna, 03/08, at the University of
Milano, 04/08, at the HERA-LHC Workshop, CERN, 05/08,
- ``All-order results in QCD'', at WHEPP X, Chennai 01/08
- ``Threshold and power corrections to jet distributions at hadron colliders'',
at the Ringberg Workshop on Non-Perturbative QCD of Jets, 01/07; and at DIS07,
Munich, 04/07, (pdf).
- ``Refining threshold resummations'', at Loops and Legs 2006, Eisenach
- ``Angularities, jets and other shapes'' at the FRIF Workshop on First
Principles Non-Perturbative QCD of Hadron Jets, LPTHE, Paris, 01/06,
- ``Sudakov resummation effects on parton distributions'', at the HERA-LHC
Workshop, DESY, 03/05 and at Lepton-Photon 2005, Uppsala, 06/05,
- ``Soft gluon effects for selected event shape distributions'', at
CERN, 12/04; and at DIS04 - Štrbské Pleso, 4/04,
- ``Exploring the borders of Perturbative QCD'', at CERN, 3/04; Colloquium at
LAPTH Annecy, 10/04; updated at Cambridge, 12/05,
- ``Exponentiation at partonic threshold for the Drell-Yan cross
section'', at DIS03, St. Petersburg, 4/03, (pdf).
- ``String techniques for the computation of scattering amplitudes
in field theory'', at NIKHEF, Amsterdam, 10/02, updated at the Heidelberg
University, 02/06, (pdf).
- ``A determination of alpha strong from scaling violations using
truncated moments'', at QCD02, Montpellier, 7/02,
- ``Power corrections in perturbative QCD'', at IFAE, Parma, 4/02,
- ``Analytic resummation and power corrections in QCD'', at the University
of Milano, 11/01; and at DIS 2001, Bologna, 04/01, (pdf).
You find me at
Dipartimento di Fisica +39 -- 11 -- 6707204
Via P. Giuria, 1 +39 -- 11 -- 6707214 (fax)
I-10125 -- Torino
My favourite mountain, from far away in Les Gets.
Page administered by
firstname.lastname@example.org. Last changes 06/16.